Although Notre Dame Academy has been educating young women of the tri-state for well over 100 years, this year marks the 50th anniversary of Notre Dame Academy on Hilton Drive. This school year at Notre Dame Academy, faculty and students Celebrate 50 Years on Hilton Drive as part of their Journey Together in Hope. This journey is one that continues to fulfill NDA’s mission as a Catholic school sponsored by the Sisters of Notre Dame committed to academic excellence and service to others.
October 29, 1963, students entered 1699 Hilton Drive in Park Hills, Kentucky, to attend classes at Notre Dame Academy for the very first time. While they missed the familiarity of their former building on 5th Street in Covington, students and faculty alike were thrilled with the “bright surroundings” of their new location.
In the November 1963 issue of NDA’s student newspaper, The Gavel, students spoke of the new chapel as “the most beautiful and peaceful place in the whole building.” From the “shiny, new lockers” to the “beautiful triangular tables” of the library, everyone was excited and eager to settle into the new school building. The faculty and students assembled that first week to “thank God for His help in making this new building possible and to beg His blessing on present and future activities.”
A prayer service and luncheon to commemorate Notre Dame Academy’s 50th anniversary on Hilton Drive were held on October 29, 2013, at 11:30 a.m. for students, faculty, alumnae, and friends of NDA. Many alumnae added to the celebration by sharing their own personal remembrances of their time at NDA including current NDA faculty member Linda Bricking (’65). Linda shared A Reflection on NDA’s 50th Anniversary in Park Hills, KY during the prayer service to commemorate this special day. (See file below)
For more information on the history of Notre Dame Academy visit NDA’s Heritage Blog at http://ndaheritage.blogspot.com. The blog is written by NDA archivist, Sr. Mary Dolores Gilbin, SND.