Where to Find Scholarships for College?
Colleges You are Applying To
The #1 thing to do when looking for scholarships is to research Scholarship opportunities from the Colleges you are applying to.
When to do this?
- By September of Senior Year. Deadlines may be as early as October 1st.
Places to look:
- Admissions page on school websites
- Financial Aid page on school websites
- Specific programs/departments will have pages on website
Big Tip! Websites are great, but be assertive and make phone calls. Call departments/programs that you are interested in and ask if they have any scholarships for incoming Freshman. Sometimes websites do not get updated or a new scholarship is created…you never know.
Where to Look?
Ask your family/friends if they know of any college scholarship opportunities.
Affording Higher Education is a HUGE online scholarship publication from KHEAA and has a lot of scholarship opportunities for Kentucky students to use at both instate and out-of-state schools!
Do a Google Search – Type your Career/Major and “College Scholarships”.
- If you have a medical condition like Diabetes, Depression, Hearing Impaired, Cancer, Epilepsy, etc., there are often scholarships available for students who have successfully managed these diseases.
- Example: Scholarships by Medical Condition.
- College Board’s Scholarship Search
- US Department of Labor’s Free Scholarship Search Tool
- College Scholarships.org – Subject Specific Scholarships: www.collegescholarships.org/